I  know that it takes some guts to share your work, especially if you aren’t on solid ground, but trust me when I say that you won’t be sorry if you do. This website is a place of supportive, creative incubation. I won’t let it be anything else!

-Marla

My apple study done on 9 x 12 clear Colorfix. So much fun. I kept my focus on only working for 30 minutes and trying to have lost and found edges. I think I might have done better than in my previous work.
Write a comment...
Independent study with gamsol
Write a comment...
Independent study part 1 without gamsol
Write a comment...
done on Strathmore Pastel Paper as my sanded paper has yet to arrive from Amazon....looking forward to better paper.
Write a comment...
Hi Marla! Love Your Work and Thank You for all of your most generous lessons! ... I did these painting about 6 months ago. Just trying to get into a groove here and develop a consistent practice. Thank You for your time. ... Sarah Neglia.
Write a comment...
N°4 of the series color iin the landscape. Enjooyable as alwaysBut I need to be more precise even with the time limit. I'm confident and will keep on trying. Comments welcomed.
Write a comment...
Hello everyone and specially the Serious Beginners. Please don't hesitate to leave coments on my works and say what you feel or not, leave criticism or advice...I can't wait to read you. On the 27th I painted a second work for the Color in Landscape series, and I did a third one today. I also did a Pumkin a day today. Full enjoyment and learning. Thrilled and a bit afraid to paint the still life...
Write a comment...
I'm so far behind that I'm doing lesson 2 and 3 together. Here's my thumbnail and first sketch. Hope to upload painting in time for tonight's critique. This is really a challenge, but I'm loving it.
Write a comment...
First landscape in 30 mn exactly: pastel sticks already organized in values,hues and intensity for the variations in Color in Action exercice. The blast is discovering how pastel marks can take over and create things you didn't know would happen. I'm very grateful to you Marla Bagetta for this Ah-Ah moment I've just experienced. For the moment, secondary is everything in this painting I didn't do as well as I should have but I learned something NEW I want to explore further.
Write a comment...
Workshop Pastels for the serious beginner One of 5 warm ups on Pastelmat 9x12", soft pastels only except for the initial drawing with hard pastel. For the first time I used only big chunks of pastel. I liked it a lot. I'm thank you to Marla Bagetta for these warm ups, very good idea and fruitful practice. I've been practising pastel painting on a regular basis for 2 to 3 years. I live in north western France in a region called Bretagne(Brittanyn in English). I'm impatient to meet the other workshop participants. Have akk a very nice weekend.
Write a comment...
Sample less part 1
Write a comment...
Marla, this lesson I send the photo,s to the community.
Write a comment...
The first image is the follow along, 12x12 in., on NuArt 400 paper. The second is 9x12 in. on Wallis paper, done from a photo of a stream not far from Tucson The Third is on 12x9 in. Ampersand Pastel board. It had a watercolor underpainting, but I covered up most of it with pastel. The last one is also on the pastel board, 12x9 in. On this one, I left most of the watercolor underpainting showing and used pastel for detail and contrast. These last two were done from memory and some photos taken during the years I worked in the Canyon--real places with a lot of artistic license. The pastel board is my favorite surface for watercolor underpainting. It creates some great textures that I then hate to cover up--I feel I need to work on creating underpaintings which lay a foundation for the pastel rather than a painting that stands on its own. The Desert Stream one feels overworked to me--I sprayed it with workable fixative, and that created a strong texture that I had a hard time covering. The trees don't have that light, feathery look of desert trees that I love. Have a great Thanksgiving--no hurry on the critique! Julia Graf
Write a comment...
8 x8 U artpaper--alcohol underpainting (Terry Ludwin, Sennelier, Rembrandt and Nupastel).
Write a comment...
First photo: Part 1 - Flower Field Follow-Along Demo on 12" x12" white Pastel Premier sanded paper. Second photo: Part 2 - Independent Assignment. My rendition of Nel Jensen's Poppy Field done on 11" x 14" white Pastel Premier paper with an alcohol under-painting.
Write a comment...
HI Marla, The ocean painting is a small study which I am now doing on a large scale. Its on black paper. The forest scene is a piece that I decided to do on black paper , high chroma. The building is from an art center near here, very old buildings. I forced myself to do since buildings and people are my two most dreaded subjects. The more abstract ocean scene was done at a workshop
Write a comment...
8 x8 U artpaper--alcohol underpainting (Terry Ludwin, Sennelier, Rembrandt and Nupastel). The red maple was easier to paint than the yellow oak. The oak should be less dense I think!
Write a comment...
Here's the reference photo for Lesson 9 independent study.
Write a comment...
Here's the thumbnail I did for the painting I submitted.
Write a comment...
Painting on Uart 9x12, Lesson 9, Water & Reflections
Write a comment...
Hello Marla Thanks for this lesson! I'm back!
Write a comment...
Copy Marla's lesson 9, Water & Reflections, 12x12 on Pastel Premier paper.
Write a comment...
9 X 12 La Carte Pastel grey, Terry Ludwig, Unison, and Nupastels. After painting along withMarla’s lesson on skies I painted this from a photo I had taken earlier this summer.
Write a comment...
My 2nd attempt. This time with a 24 piece set of Nupastel plus 2 hand rolled Richeson pastels. My main goal was to lighten my touch and try to loosen up a bit. This might be easier if I had something larger than a cell phone to take lessons from.
Write a comment...
8 x 8 Uart sanded paper -terry, sennelier, rembrandt pastels. From a photo I took in Yarmouthport Cape Cod. The marsh grasses are really that very bright yellow in the fall!
Write a comment...
Hello Marla, Trees and Skies, copies of you and two of me. What I really like about following the lessons is all the material to look at. I learn a lot from the critics at the bottom of the lessons! What strikes me about myself! I lose myself too much in reproducing your work in the red tree. The sky just like that. The second photo from the skies is my view of the gallery I live on the second floor. I look quit near the next lesson ´ flowers´ were kind regards from, Wies
Write a comment...
I had fun doing these. It was a very good lesson demonstrating how one can use color to create very different looking paintings from the same basic scene. I feel like I am slowly getting a better understanding about how to apply pastels. I realize I still have a long journey ahead, but I feel so grateful to have found such a good teacher through the magic of the internet. There was no one for me locally that teaches pastels.
Write a comment...
Done on Uart sanded paper. Appx size: 7.5" x 9,5". Based on a reference photo provided with the lesson.
Write a comment...
I submitted two St Moritz , one small study and one larger . The small was on natural Uart and the other was on charcoal paper. The trail scene was an enlargement of the one I submitted last time with more light in the center, as you suggested.
Write a comment...
Bartender 9×12" Sennelier pastels&watercolours on pastelmat Independent assignment for lesson 3 My deepest apologies to the lady in the reference. I like the painting, but I realised I don't have a clue how to pick skin tones. I solved the problem with some mud, but I can't always resort to that. I guess I will have to study some of the books I have on the topic.
Write a comment...
This is my painting for part three. My deepest apologies to Kevin... but also go me! I'm really impressed with the result of my first pastel figure. I tried a couple of times in pencil, with ok-ish results, but this is the first time in colour. AND I painted it looking at the photos without following the video, which I watched yesterday. I like this method more and more. Learning on Sunday 9×12" Sennelier pastels on pastelmat Hilarious Sennelier watercolour underpainting.
Write a comment...
Well, this was fun and less stressful than the lesson. I misplace the reference I wanted to use, so I painted one of Marla's photos. I definitely need to practice more, but for once I'm not beating myself up - I think it's quite good. I had to force myself to stop tweaking it (it's already ruined in a couple of places 😊). I love that the sky is so dramatically blue even close to the horizon - it was the same in the reference photo. Up in the mountains? 40×30 Nupastel, Unison and Terry Ludwig pastel on pastelmat
Write a comment...
A sunlit path 14×14" Nupastel, Unison and Terry Ludwig pastels on olive colourfix This was stressful, but I like my painting better than I thought I would. I was even afraid to finish it, because I thought I would ruin what I had already done (I had to stop because of the lack of light). I'm so upset I fell behind from the beginning - and short daylight isn't helping. 😕
Write a comment...
Sunset sky 9.5×23" Nupastel, Art Spectrum, Terry Ludwig and Unison pastels on terracotta colourfix Pastel and water underpainting (previous version) I can't believe I finally managed to paint this! The lesson seems so easy, but I had huge troubles with it. I am still not very happy with the result, but it will have to do. Now let's see if I can finish the first painting of the light & shadow!
Write a comment...
On green color fix paper
Write a comment...
On UArt 400 with green intense underpainting
Write a comment...
From lesson 5 Lesson Library 1
Write a comment...

Videos

With each video, I invite you to consider an idea, an exercise, a musing to cultivate and enliven your painting process. If you are moved to share your results, that would be excellent! If they simply give you food for thought; wonderful! ​

I'm always looking for ways to motivate, tease, bribe, cajole myself to the easel, so I hope these videos help you to do the same!

Community Submission

Login To See This Lesson

Oops! You need to log into your Pastel Painting Lessons account in order to see this page. No worries, there are several levels of membership (including Free!) for you to choose from.

Need To Create An Account?

Free Mini Lessons & Community Access: Click Here to Sign Up for Free

Lesson Library, Watch & Paint, Quick Skill Builders and Ongoing Lessons: Click Here for Plans & Pricing Along with Registration

Still having trouble? Contact Pastel Painting Support Here

Already Have An Account?

Already signed up for an account but need to log in? Log In Here